[lldb-dev] Listening for thread create/destroy events in python LLDB

Jim Ingham jingham at apple.com
Fri Jul 31 16:34:26 PDT 2015

lldb doesn't attempt to generate thread creation & destruction events at present.  If it did there would be a "threadCreated" event on the process, but as you see there isn't...

There was some discussion about this a little while ago on the list.  IMHBSEO the debugger should interfere with the running of a program as little as possible when the target is just running flat out.  So I wouldn't want lldb to watch thread creation and destruction by default, since you will end up starting and stopping the target much more often for information that in general you don't want to see.

But it would be fine to add a setting that you could turn on in lldb to try to catch thread create/destroy. For extra credit, you could flip this on when somebody signs up for the thread creation events we would vend.

Anyway, IIUC gathering these events would be easy to do on Linux, since you already have to be notified of new thread creation so you can attach to them.

On OS X it would be trickier.  There is no kernel level notification of thread creation or destruction.  You could get thread creation by breaking on the couple of functions OS X always uses to start up new threads.  Getting destruction would be trickier since you'd have put a breakpoint in the thread create function on the return from the thread body function.  That would probably be easy to tell by eyeballing the function's disassembly, but might be harder to determine programmatically.

Feel free to file a bug or even better provide a patch if this is something you really need.

Jim