[lldb-dev] Use lldb.so to create stack trace

Schlottke-Lakemper, Michael m.schlottke-lakemper at aia.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Jul 27 22:10:14 PDT 2015

Hi folks,

We are looking for a way to use lldb.so to print out a stack trace programmatically. In our scientific simulation tool (written in C++) ,  we use a custom terminate function where we are already able to print stack traces in case of an abnormal abort, which uses some gcc-specific magic.

My idea is to link our tool to lldb.so when compiling for debugging and to use the library to print a stack trace programmatically, including demangled names and correct line numbers. However, I don't really know how to start thus I am wondering

- has someone here done or seen something like this before?
- is there a tutorial for linking to lldb.so and making use of it through C++?
- would this also work when compiling with other compilers than clang?

Any help or pointers to relevant projects/documentation etc is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Michael

--
Michael Schlottke-Lakemper

SimLab Highly Scalable Fluids & Solids Engineering
Jülich Aachen Research Alliance (JARA-HPC)
RWTH Aachen University

Wüllnerstraße 5a
52062 Aachen
Germany