[lldb-dev] difference between "platform process attach|launch" and "process attach|launch"

Oleksiy Vyalov ovyalov at google.com
Mon Jan 26 15:28:46 PST 2015

Hello,

I'm trying to make TestProcessAttach to pass in case of remote platform. I
see a few problems here:

   - lldbtest.spawnSubprocess should spawn a new process remotely (e.g.,
   using A packet) when remote_platform is presented.
   - It seems "process attach" doesn't know about selected platform and
   tries to find a local process to attach - either by pid or name (I don't
   see qLaunchGDBServer requests in platform's gdb-remote logs).

The main question for me here - is it expected behavior that "process
attach|launch" always work with local processes only regardless of selected
platform? Or if it's not the case should we delegate Process::Attach call
to Platform::Attach and Process::Launch to Platform::ProcessLaunch?
Or as minimal workaround make TestProcessAttach to use "platform process
attach" command instead?

Thank you in advance.

Oleksiy Vyalov | Software Engineer | ovyalov at google.com