[lldb-dev] Backslashes in command arguments

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Mon Jan 12 17:03:03 PST 2015

The way Process does it is a little confusing to me.  It has this
ProcessProperties() class which takes a boolean, is_global.  If this value
is true, it appends some sub-properties to it, and if it's false, it just
initializes itself by calling itself again with true.  So false and true
make no difference, it's always the same instance (?)

Then, to further confuse matters, there's a single PropertyDefinition
array, where some of them are specified as global and some not via the
third argument.  When you call GetGlobalProperties(), it then just returns
the whole array.  There's not much choice it has, because it's all just one
array, so it can't really return a filtered array with only the items where
global==true.

I feel like the correct way to do this is to have two separate arrays.  One
for global properties and one for instance properties.  Then, instead of
inheriting from Properties, just have two instances of it in the class.  An
instance instance and a static instance.  This way you don't even need the
third argument to PropertyDefinition at all.  And the global properties are
added as a subcategory, such as interpreter.global.  This also makes it
clear to the user when they run "settings list" which settings are global
and which are not.  It might be clearer with an example, so I'll upload
this patch so you can see what I'm talking about.  If you don't like the
way I've done it let me know.