[lldb-dev] Reading memory while inferior is running

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Tue Jan 6 15:19:54 PST 2015

> On Jan 6, 2015, at 2:58 PM, Mario Zechner <badlogicgames at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is excellent news. I assume your refer to the Python script i posted in [1]. That was a port of our production code to illustrate issues with high frequency process suspends/resumes in conjunction with tracing steps/breakpoints.
>
> If reading from the inferiors memory while the process is running works, then that issues will vanish.
>
> We are targeting Mac OS X and iOS, both of which use debugserver and hence GDBProcess afaik. Does GDBProcess support reading memory while the process is running?

Unfortunately no, not as it is currently coded. There is a "non-stop mode" that the GDB remote protocol allows, but we don't currently support that in our ProcessGDBRemote.cpp. I am not sure how much work it would be to convert over to using this but this would allow for memory to be read while things are running. Currently the GDB remote protocol can only send one packet at a time, including when running the process, so you send a continue packet and the response will be a stop reply packet, so the only way to currently send a memory read is to interrupt the packet by sending a CTRL+C (0x03 byte) which stops the target, then you can send the memory read, and then resume the target. That probably won't improve things.

So feel free to look into supporting the non-stop mode if you want. One thing to note is that any existing iOS devices out there with previously released developer support have a fixed developer disk image that has the "debugserver" binary hard coded on it and they will never change, so we have no hopes of adding non-stop mode to any previously released Xcode tools.