[lldb-dev] MSBuild vs. Ninja build-timings on Windows

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Fri Jan 2 15:32:16 PST 2015

+Nico Weber <thakis at google.com>​

Nico might be able to give you some more insight on exactly why Ninja is
faster than MSBuild.  My (limited) understanding is that it has better
dependency tracking, but I'm not sure where the "betterness" comes from.

I'm not sure how MSBuild compares to GNU Make.  I'm not sure if anyone
actually uses Make to build LLDB on Windows or if it even works.  I know at
some point, even if way off into the future, it would be nice to get rid of
the configure/make build entirely.  The only reason it's still around is
because it supports a few features not supported by the CMake build.  If /
when those issues get resolved, I think the LLVM side will try to remove
it, and then we should follow suit.