[lldb-dev] Interactive commands in LLDB

Siva Chandra sivachandra at google.com
Thu Feb 26 10:46:08 PST 2015

Firstly, thanks for taking time to answer and respond to me.

I would like to present some historical context here wrt the "explore"
command in GDB. Back when it was added, my use for it was to
understand GCC's mega structs and unions. There was something like a
flag typically which kind of specified how to interpret (for example,
which field of a union is relevant) the rest of struct and union. So,
it all made sense back then to have an interactive command in single
session which helped me get to the relevant parts of a struct/union
value. IMO, such a use case is still relevant. However, I will go with
what your final take on this.

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 9:32 AM,  <jingham at apple.com> wrote:
> I still don't see what value you get joining the code to do "Give me
> one answer with a default value" with the much more complex
> "enter an interactive session that may have many questions (and
> you might want to alter the prompt to show where you are in the
> session currently, etc."  I have no objection to adding the latter if
> there's a good use for it.  But given that the IOHandlerConfirm is
> around 10 lines of code, I see no benefit in complicating it with the
> code to implement the more complex session.

I will go with this suggestion iff we do decide to add "explore" to LLDB.