[lldb-dev] More tests

Jason Molenda jmolenda at apple.com
Thu Feb 19 15:18:51 PST 2015

Thanks for raising this outside the scope of that one patch review.

There are different things we may want to test related to the Unwinder subsystem:

1. Testing of assembly instruction profile generated unwind instructions
   (looking at the assembly instructions, spotting the insns relevant to unwind, emitting unwind instructions for them.)

2. Testing of eh_frame parsing & the generated unwind instructions

3. Testing of compact_unwind {Darwin specific format} parsing & the generated unwind instructions.  This one is arch specific so testing i386/x86_64/arm64 are all valuable.

4. Unwind behavior correctness.  Do we pick the correct unwind plan (eh_frame? compact unwind?  assembly language profiling?  Augmented eh_frame?  The ABI arch default unwind plan?  Do we backtrace correctly if the program jumps to 0?  The answers may differ depending on whether we're looking at frame 0 or frame 1+)  Does the unwinder follow the unwind plan instructions correctly to retrieve saved register values on the stack?

For 1-3, static analysis -- without a live running process on the correct architecture -- is possible and is a worthwhile goal.  The unwind plan CREATORS will need some help to work without a live RegisterContext to get register information.  (this dependency for this layer is almost exclusively of the form, "I know that rbx is register 2 in the machine's register numbering scheme, what is it in lldb's native register numbering scheme?")

Whether it's a blob of bytes or a .s file that we use clang to build for the appropriate architecture, whatever, if the clang that we build has those targets built in reliably we can do it at testsuite run time.

There's the other side of this that we'll need to come up with an SBUnwindPlan type class that can be queried for all of the unwind details for a function.

For #4, we'll need live processes and/or core files - I don't see any way around that.