[lldb-dev] Bots and multiple build systems

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Tue Feb 17 11:15:45 PST 2015

Now that we're getting bots for more platforms, I think it's becoming more
important to make sure that our build system changes are tested across
other platforms *before* committing.  I know in the past we've had a system
where people who were responsible for maintaining a particular platform
would jump in and help when a build system change went in that broke their
platform, but now that we are starting to get bots, I think the priority
should be on keeping the bots green.

This means that people on Windows and Linux will need to checkin xcode
project patches at the time of first submit, and people on Mac will need to
check in CMake changes at the time of first commit.

I want to emphasize that this is *more* painful for the non-Mac people than
it is for the Mac people, because CMake is edited without the use of a
tool, so it's very easy to do this on any platform, whereas editing the
Xcode stuff cannot be done without Xcode.  Regardless of that, we still
need to do it IMO.  I already have a Mac that I've gotten explicitly for
this purpose.  For people that don't have a Mac, please either try to get
one, or coordinate on IRC to have someone who does have one test make the
Xcode fixes before comitting the patch.

For people on Mac who have no familiarity with CMake, you're in luck.  90%
of changes are very trivial to make.  If all you're doing is adding or
removing a .cpp file, then all you have to do is add the name of the file
to a list in the corresponding CMakeLists.txt file.  For more complicated
changes, I'm happy to help on #lldb IRC or on email.

We have bots that should be sending out emails about build breakages.  If
an email is not sent out, then that's a bug that we need to fix with the
bot and you shouldn't be expected to stop what you're doing when we finally
notice a day or 3 later.  But if you do get an email about a build
breakage, please either fix immediately or revert if you cannot get a fix
in under a half hour.   Leaving bad changes in masks other failures, as the
bots will not send out an email if a bot was red before and is still red.

We had this problem over the weekend where a bot was red, and someone
checked in an LLVM change that broke LLDB on Linux.  But no email was sent
out, because the bot was already red.  PLEASE MAKE SURE THE TREE STAYS
GREEN.