[lldb-dev] Transitioning to Linux local debugging via lldb-gdbserver

Vince Harron vharron at google.com
Mon Feb 9 13:26:57 PST 2015

Hi all,

As you may have noticed, we have been busily adding remote debugging
support to Linux.  One of the processes that run on the remote target is
lldb-gdbserver (or llgs for short).

We have also been working on a second path for debugging local linux
processes.  instead of lldb calling the ptrace APIs directly, it launches
an llgs instance and communicates with it via the remote debug protocol.

This has two advantages.

1) There is more code shared between the remote debugging code path and the
local debugging code path.  If a feature works in remote, it probably works
locally and vice-versa.

2) It makes us more architecturally similar to OSX (which also does local
debugging via a connection to debugserver).

This path is called LLGS local.  We think that this configuration is now at
parity with (or better than) local linux debugging.

It is currently invoked if you have an environment variable defined
"PLATFORM_LINUX_FORCE_LLGS_LOCAL"

We would like to switch to LLGS local as the default path and only use the
non-LLGS path if someone has an environment variable defined
"PLATFORM_LINUX_DISABLE_LLGS_LOCAL"

Later, if all goes well, we would like to remove non-LLGS local debugging
support to simplify the codebase and avoid confusion.

Thoughts?

Vince

--

Vince Harron | Technical Lead Manager | vharron at google.com | 858-442-0868