[lldb-dev] How does attach work on non-Windows?

Todd Fiala via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 26 15:16:32 PDT 2015

I seem to recall on the Linux side that this gets a bit complicated.
Attaching vs. launching get different sequences of stops, as do the number
of hops through possible shells in between a launch and an attach.  So we
pass through a skip-stop count (which I think both OS X and Linux use) to
figure out how many of them we need to skip before we say we're attached.

Are we at the point where everything is using lldb-server/debugserver
everywhere on OS X/Linux/*BSD even for local debugging?  If so, all those
platforms probably have a point in the gdb protocol that they know they're
attached and ready to go.  If we have an analog on the Windows side, is it
just a matter of exposing that for the client code that attaches to the
lldb-server/debugserver/{windows-equivalent}-server?

-Todd