[lldb-dev] Exported symbols from LLDB build products

Bruce Mitchener via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 14 11:04:06 PDT 2015

I was doing some more digging into this and experimentation and found that
the Windows build appears to handle this already, but that's because symbol
visibility is different over there.

It looks like on non-Windows, we should be using the
__attribute__((visibility("hidden"))) for pretty much all of the LLDB
classes, apart from the public API. With that set up correctly, we don't
need linker flags at all, and it gives the compiler additional information
to generate better code (which linker options / scripts won't provide).

llvm's include file llvm/Support/Compiler.h provides a preprocessor
definition LLVM_LIBRARY_VISIBILITY which can be applied to everything that
is supposed to be internal.  This is what clang and LLVM do to hide some
things, but they provide a much broader API than LLDB does.

Would you be averse to LLVM_LIBRARY_VISIBILITY being added to all of our
internal class definitions? (I don't mind doing the work.)  That seems like
the better and more correct way to handle this.

If we can do that, we'd want to include "llvm/Support/Compiler.h" in just
about everything to pick up the LLVM_LIBRARY_VISIBILITY definition. Would
we be able to put that in one of the LLDB headers that is already included
everywhere?

 - Bruce