[lldb-dev] How to deal with STL type names in C++ code?

Enrico Granata via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 6 15:58:25 PDT 2015

> On Aug 6, 2015, at 3:50 PM, Siva Chandra <sivachandra at google.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Enrico Granata <egranata at apple.com <mailto:egranata at apple.com>> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 6, 2015, at 3:33 PM, Siva Chandra <sivachandra at google.com <mailto:sivachandra at google.com>> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Enrico Granata <egranata at apple.com <mailto:egranata at apple.com>> wrote:
>> To be honest, my favorite approach would be to modify clang’s TypePrinter to do this, and then hooking up GetDisplayTypeName() to use whatever flags would be necessary to invoke that bit of magic
>>
>> Do you mean that clang's "pretty printer" should be made extensible by a script?
>>

> Nope, what I am imagining is not an extensible system
>
> When LLDB goes to print a type it asks the compiler “what is the name of this type that I should display?”
> By default, clang prints the fully specialized template, including type arguments that have their default value. My theory is that we would want to add a mode to the type printer to say “simplify type name”, and that would do sensible things to get a display name that is more compact
>
> So, how would clang know about the "simplified" or "friendly" name for a type? Even in case of standard library types, the underlying types (with unfriendly type names) could be anything. For example, libstdc++ and STLport have different underlying naming conventions. So does libc++ I would imagine (I have not spent enough time yet staring at libc++ code).

The obvious mechanism is that the compiler has knowledge of the structure of the type - so it can make printing decisions based on that type structure
In this case, I imagine a viable approach would be having rules like omitting the values of template arguments that have a default value, omit inlined namespaces, ...

> That seems more interesting than a set of regular expression heuristics on the type name, which is probably all you could do without specialized compiler-y knowledge of types
>

>>> On Aug 6, 2015, at 2:33 PM, Siva Chandra <sivachandra at google.com <mailto:sivachandra at google.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> FWIW, GDB has a similar concept called type-printers:
>>> https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/Type-Printing-API.html <https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/Type-Printing-API.html>

>> Thanks,
>> - Enrico
>> 📩 egranata@.com ☎️ 27683