[lldb-dev] Better support for Shared Object load address discovery

Aidan Dodds aidan at codeplay.com
Thu Apr 30 10:11:11 PDT 2015

Sorry for the delayed response Greg.

I have been working on a proof of concept which adds a new dynamic
loader for gdb-remote as you suggest, and perhaps when I get it working with
the behavior I'm expecting, I can post it for review and we can have a
look at how best to integrate something like this with upstream LLDB.
Perhaps
it can indeed by integrated cleanly with the posixDYLD.

There is one issue that has emerged while I have been working on this,
with regard to how LLDB regards the target executable as the first
module loaded.
Since the first and potentially only module that I can give to LLDB is a
shared library it doesn't seem to make sense to regard it as the
executable module.

My thoughts were to change the way the target handles this, so that LLDB
instead looks for the first executable module loaded, which would
exclude shared object.
I changed it to be something like this:

ModuleSP
Target::GetExecutableModule ()
{
     for ( uint32_t i = 0; i < (uint32_t)m_images.GetSize( ); ++i )
     {
         ModuleSP modsp = m_images.GetModuleAtIndex( i );
         lldb_private::ObjectFile * obj = modsp->GetObjectFile( );
         if ( obj == nullptr )
             continue;
         ObjectFile::Type type = obj->GetType( );
         if ( type == ObjectFile::Type::eTypeExecutable )
             return modsp;
     }
     return ModuleSP();
}

Module*
Target::GetExecutableModulePointer ()
{
     return GetExecutableModule().get();
}

This problem surfaced when I noticed the posixDYLD (which I was using at
the time) takes the executable (module index 0), and forcefully sets its
load address based
on the entry point of the program.  In the case of my shared library
this is the incorrect address.

Does anyone have thoughts or opinions on this?