[lldb-dev] Process::SyncIOHandler(), everyone please try out the following patch

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Fri Apr 10 13:04:29 PDT 2015

Pavel,

can you you look into why this is happening by adding logging to a file?

What I believe should happen is:

1 - main thread: get the "n" command and issues the step and may or may not get back to printing the "(lldb) " prompt before step 2 below
2 - debugger event thread: calls Debugger::HandleProcessEvent to handle the eStateRunning event
3 - debugger event thread: might get STDOUT event for the "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" text and async prints it
4 - debugger event thread: calls Debugger::HandleProcessEvent to handle the eStateStopped event
5 - debugger event thread: has async text for stop reason "thread #1:..." and async prints it

For both async prints in step 3 and 5, we call IOHandler::Hide() which for the Editline should hide the "(lldb) " prompt, show the text and call IOHandler::Referesh() to show the prompt again and any partial command you may have typed. Why that is not happening the the question. When we display the async text we run this function:

     1	void
     2	IOHandlerStack::PrintAsync (Stream *stream, const char *s, size_t len)
     3	{
     4	    if (stream)
     5	    {
     6	        Mutex::Locker locker (m_mutex);
     7	        if (m_top)
     8	        {
     9	            Mutex::Locker locker(m_top->GetOutputMutex());
    10	            const bool did_hide = m_top->Hide();
    11	            stream->Write (s, len);
    12	            stream->Flush();
    13	            if (did_hide)
    14	                m_top->Refresh();
    15	        }
    16	    }
    17	}

Note above on line 10 we ask the editline IOHandler to hide itself, and then we write the data on line 11 and then _only_ if we hid the IOHandler to we ask it to refresh. So the question is, is the main thread printing the "(lldb) " prompt after line 10? Does your linux process have a ProcessIOHandler, or is ProcessGDBRemote getting the stdout via async 'O' packets?

Greg