[lldb-dev] Process monitoring Host/Plugin interactions

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Fri Oct 31 13:56:49 PDT 2014

> On Oct 31, 2014, at 1:28 PM, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:
>
> What about having Host::LaunchProcess accept a ProcessLauncher as an argument.  If you don't provide one, it will do what it currently does, if you do provide one it will use that.  That's kind of similar to the status monitor patch you lgtm'ed, but maybe we don't actually need that, and this woudl be a better change that accomplishes the same thing.  This way ProcessWindows::DoLaunch could just pass in the DebugProcessLauncher.  Functionally, this is equivalent to what is already happening, but it makes Host::LaunchProcess a little more flexible.

That would be fine.

> I still kind of don't like the callback and baton in the ProcessLaunchInfo.  Seems like if it doesn't make sense for a platform, it's not truly generic and shouldn't be in generic code.  That's what spurred the comment about different implementations.  95% of process launching doesn't use it.  AFAICT gdb-server and running shell commands are the only thing that uses it.  Everything else just uses Process::SetProcessExitStatus.
> So it seems to make the code a little bit healthier if we sink that logic into the places that need it and other people don't have to worry about what to do if it's set since they always expect it to be unset.  Their codepaths wouldnt' even have to make the decision because there would be no callback and baton members on ProcessLaunchInfo.

As you know LLDB is very POSIX oriented because it has strong root in unix. I don't consider debug process launching as the default in the host layer, so the fact that only two places right now are launching subprocesses doesn't make the argument everyone should be calling SetProcessExitStatus() by default. There are many simulators here at Apple and out in the world and the Platform::DebugProcess() will need to launch those simulators as subprocesses and be able to feed binaries into them. The process launching on the host needs to reflect the abilities of the underlying host layer, including the ability to monitor signals. I don't care if this is done using callbacks, classes, or any other form, but it needs to stay in the design so that clients on the host can do what they expect to be able to do with a unix child process. If this means we need to extend of change the callback, I am all for it, but it needs to be a superset of all systems we support.

> Not actually proposing that I should do that, just seems like something that could be worked towards incrementally over the long term.

That would be fine long term. Not for now, but yes long term.