[lldb-dev] Process monitoring Host/Plugin interactions

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Fri Oct 31 12:00:15 PDT 2014

So this email originally went through while I was still trying to come up
with a working solution.  So before I had arrived at the solution I came up
with in the patches I uploaded.

Anyway, some rambling ahead.

Ultimately I ended up not going through Host::LaunchProcess, so perhaps
most of the questions I asked are moot now.  In any case, the biggest
problem I had when trying to make ProcessWindows::DoLaunch use
Host::LaunchProcess is that the interface wasn't really flexible enough.
It seems that based on the distinction you describe between a process
status monitor and a debug monitor, Windows doesn't ever need to "monitor"
a process for anything.  At least not when debugging.

Passing it through as a flag like eLaunchFlagDontMonitor as you suggested
probably would work, but it seems like at that point we're sinking platform
specific flags into a generic interface.  If eLaunchFlagDontMonitor is set
if and only if we're launching a process for debugging on Windows, then
imagine if it were called eLaunchFlagWindowsProcess instead.

Part of me thinks that launching processes is just complicated, and maybe
we shouldn't try to mash it into one generic function (e.g.
Host::LaunchProcess).  That was the driving idea behind the ProcessLauncher
abstraction.  It allows launching strategies that are plugin specific, or
platform specific, to be implemented in plugin-specific or
platform-specific ways, or even in multiple different ways.

Of course at some level generic code needs to be able to have one function
that just says "hey, launch this process", but that function could simply
look at the flags in the ProcessLaunchInfo and create the correct type of
ProcessLauncher based on the flags that are specified.

A concrete example of how this is useful is because right now, it's unclear
what would happen in ProcessWindows if someone passed a monitor callback /
baton pair, because I just ignore it.  Really that just means that the idea
of the monitor callback and baton isn't actually generic enough, and maybe
would be better somewhere else.  But if you search through the code,
there's only a few very well-defined places where it's actually set.  The
most obvious example is running a shell command.  So here, you would just
have ShellProcessLauncher that does something different than
RegularProcessLauncher, or whatever.  You could remove the callback and
baton from ProcessLaunchInfo entirely.

Anyway, these are all just high level ideas.  FWIW, one of the reasons I'm
going out of my way and make great effort to create these abstractions in a
way that they're as reusable and generic as possible, is because it would
be great if everything I'm doing now just fits into llgs in the future
without a tremendous porting effort.  Not having posix compatibility in
Windows breaks alot of the assumptions that LLDB originally made, so
hopefully incrementally tackling these assumptions over time provides some
benefit in the long run.