[lldb-dev] Editline Rewrite : issues surround wide character handling on different platforms

Kate Stone katherine_stone at apple.com
Wed Oct 29 11:27:27 PDT 2014

> On Oct 28, 2014, at 1:55 PM, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue Oct 28 2014 at 1:46:26 PM Vince Harron <vharron at google.com> wrote:
>>
>> > - rework the Editline rewrite, so it either uses standard 8 bit chars, or wchar_t/utf8 depending on the platform.  This would be conditionally built depending on the platform.
>>
>> This would be my favorite option if possible.  wchar_t never really took roots in Linux AFAIK.
>
> Also probably the best option for Windows, although it's worth pointing out that at least for now, most other stuff in LLDB doesn't really use wide character strings either, so char would be the path of least resistance for Windows right now.

With the Editline rewrite I made the explicit decision to insulate the rest of LLDB from wide characters and strings by encoding everything as UTF8.  I agree that reverting to char-only input is a perfectly reasonable solution for platforms that don't yet include wchar-aware libedit implementations.

Kate Stone k8stone at apple.com
 Xcode Runtime Analysis Tools