[lldb-dev] Editline Rewrite : issues surround wide character handling on different platforms

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Tue Oct 28 14:16:56 PDT 2014

On 28 October 2014 17:00, Shawn Best <sbest at blueshiftinc.com> wrote:

> Vince - I don't think dropping gcc on Linux is a great option, as other platforms (FreeBSD) use gcc.  The issue is also more related libc++ vs libstdc++

On FreeBSD our standard system compiler and C++ standard library is
clang and libc++. There would be little impact to me, or other FreeBSD
users, if LLDB did not build with GCC/libstdc++.

That said, being able to build with another compiler and standard
library can prove quite useful while trying to track down issues. I
believe it would be a huge issue for various Linux distros. I don't
think it's feasible to actually pursue dropping GCC/libstdc++ support.