[lldb-dev] Trapping function exit and return value

Bruce Mitchener bruce.mitchener at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 06:37:22 PDT 2014

Hello,

With another debugger that I use, I'm able to set breakpoints on function
exit and get the return value. (These are usually set automatically when
the function is entered.)

This is useful for all sorts of things, but I haven't seen an easy way to
do this in LLDB.  This is necessary for some tools that I'd like to build
on top of LLDB.

A comment from Jim Ingham on Stackoverflow indicates that the return value
portion of this isn't robustly available yet:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20902019/inspect-the-return-value-of-a-function-in-lldb

I don't want to force a return, just stop on the exit and read the value
and be able to continue (and all preferably via the script API).

Did I miss something or is there a way? If not, any thoughts on how to best
go about this?

Cheers,

 - Bruce