[lldb-dev] LLVM, Clang and LLDB matching revisions

Todd R. Fiala todd.fiala at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 11:08:44 PST 2014

Hi Mario,

The official approach to this is:

* Sync llvm, clang and lldb with the same effective svn version number.
* Build with them all + whatever patches you might have on the lldb side.
* When something breaks, it typically is an interface change on the way lldb uses clang or llvm.  If you can fix it, create a patch and fix it.  If you cannot, then go with one of the plan b options.

Plan B

Typically that works, except when you are working in the area of lldb that is using a newer API in clang/llvm.  We should not be submitting new code in lldb that is not working against the newest code in llvm/clang.

When neither the official approach or the Plan B work, and if you cannot figure out how to patch up lldb to work with latest, then you ask for help :-)

Hope that helps!

-Todd