[lldb-dev] Supporting FreeBSD kernel debugging project

Piotr Rak piotr.rak at gmail.com
Sat May 24 14:51:23 PDT 2014

Hi,

Small hint from me: when it comes to obtaining test data post-mortem kernel
debugging I have found

qemu dump-guest-memory

is invaluable - cheapest and easiest way. It worked great for linux +
x86_64, it also works for x86 and is easy to extended on other
architectures, and also I see no technical obstacles for using it with
FreeBSD.

Also if there is intrest in getting
crash<http://people.redhat.com/anderson/> alike functionality
for linux in community into lldb please let me know, would be more than
happy to collaborate and share my work in this area.

I am far from feature parity from crash and at some point I found fitting
into lldb's Process and DynamicLoader API unnecessary burden, with not that
much gain. That was especially due to my limited resources, at prototyping
stage and also lack of freedom in introducing heavier dependecies (eg.
libarchive), that made my work progress at satisfying rate. It might have
been just my lacking technical competences, nothing to discourage from
going this way :)

But I might revisit and  reconsider this decision, or at least share parts
that I believe might be useful. Now I am bit more confident about shape and
form, and see bit better where I am going...

Good luck, and have fun with your project, I am sure it'll be very
interesting.

Cheers,
/P