[lldb-dev] Is there support for command queuing/asynchronicity in lldb?

jingham at apple.com jingham at apple.com
Fri Mar 14 11:56:42 PDT 2014

My take on this would be to keep the SB API's as simple as possible, and then add a library on top of the SB API's that would implement some flavor of asynchronous operation.  After all, lots of folks have opinions about how this sort of thing should be done, arguments which the core SB API's should stand to the side of if at all possible...

If there is anything about supporting various models of async execution that would need support not currently available through the SB API's as they now stand, then we should provide that.  That would keep us honest about supporting different flavors of using our API, and also keep orthogonal complexity out of the core of the debugger.  For instance, the SB API's don't currently have a way to say "I am going to be doing a whole bunch of operations, and I don't want anybody to be able to restart the process while that is going on."  That is a primitive that would be needed for async operation to be reliably coded up, and Greg and I have talked about ways to do this for quite some time, but haven't had time to code anything up yet.  But again, I'd much rather provide this sort of thing, and then be agnostic about how clients want to use our API's.

Jim