[lldb-dev] frame variable command, child objects, depth limits

Enrico Granata egranata at apple.com
Tue Jun 24 12:39:08 PDT 2014

> On Jun 24, 2014, at 9:56 AM, Bruce Mitchener <bruce.mitchener at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The frame variable command doesn't seem to obey printing depth limits, instead having a '-D' parameter that defaults to unlimited / infinity.

Bruce,
I am not sure what “printing depth limits” you mean, if not the -D flag.
If that flag’s value is not honored, we should probably fix it. If you mean something else, can you elaborate a little bit more?

> In the Dylan language implementation, we have objects that refer to themselves regularly (example is an empty list is a pair, head and tail, each of which points to the empty list). There are plenty of other situations where this happens.

Is this done via pointers? And do you expose them as such? If so, the —ptr-depth would be the flag to use

> I thought that perhaps I would just set a different default when loading my scripts, but there doesn't seem to be a setting for the depth parameter to "frame variable".

No, but it would be interesting to have a way to set default arguments to commands - We don’t have that feature yet though