[lldb-dev] Is anyone using lldb on Windows to debug a _Windows_ application

Todd Fiala tfiala at google.com
Sat Jun 14 15:32:31 PDT 2014

Hi Paul,

> Seems like only 'MacOSX and Linux' on 'i686 and x86_64' are properly
supported.

For sure the Linux support is really just x86_64 and x86 32-bit to some
extent, and not other architectures.

It's very likely we'll have AArch64 Linux working at some point.  We're
working on bringing LLDB up on Android, and one of the earlier steps is
getting lldb-gdbserver (llgs) working on Linux (first x86_64, but later
many of the architectures that Android supports).

We're less focused on local debugging than on debugging through the
gdb-remote protocol.  However, Greg Clayton and I have talked some about
bringing the NativeProcessProtocol and NativeThreadProtocol mechanisms by
which llgs is getting implemented to the local debugging side as well (i.e.
re-engineering local debugging in terms of Native{Process,Thread}Protocol).

If you're interested, you can see the latest state of the lldb-gdbserver
support here:

https://github.com/tfiala/lldb/tree/dev-tfiala-native-protocol-linux-x86_64

llgs is getting implemented for linux-x86_64 first.  Ed Maste is planning
on getting it working for FreeBSD, and Greg and the Apple folks plan to
move from debugserver over to llgs at some point after we work the kinks
out of llgs.

I did spend several days attempting to get an Aarch64 build environment on
a DS-5 simulator and a Linaro Aarch64 linux distro but the combination of
the lack of speed and the challenges I worked through with some very
helpful ARM engineers made this a less productive avenue than my current
linux x86_64 bring-up.  I plan to return back to that or a similar arm64
environment in the near future.

Todd Fiala | Software Engineer | tfiala at google.com | 650-943-3180