[lldb-dev] ELF file header e_machine number registration question

Matthew Gardiner mg11 at csr.com
Fri Jun 13 04:11:36 PDT 2014

Hi folks,

At some stage I'd like to submit to upstream lldb some changes to
ArchSpec.h/.cpp and ELF.h which contain entries for some of CSR's
Kalimba processors.

One concern of ours is the fact that the e_machine number our toolchain
puts in our ELF files was not registered with the System V ABI. For
historic reasons we chose a pseudo-random number 0x72ec (decimal 29420).

Is it permissible for me to continue to use this number, and submit into
llvm/include/llvm/Support/ELF.h the following:

+ EM_KALIMBA = 29420 // Kalimba

Or is it the llvm/lldb practice that the machine architectures listed in
the above file must be officially with the ABI people?

At CSR we have briefly discussed the idea and although we could
retrospectively register our processors, we would then stop putting
0x72ec in our ELFs, and that would break a lot of previously written tools.

Could somebody please clarify this point for me?

thanks
Matthew Gardiner

More information can be found at www.csr.com. Keep up to date with CSR on our technical blog, www.csr.com/blog, CSR people blog, www.csr.com/people, YouTube, www.youtube.com/user/CSRplc, Facebook, www.facebook.com/pages/CSR/191038434253534, or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/CSR_plc.
New for 2014, you can now access the wide range of products powered by aptX at www.aptx.com.