[lldb-dev] qRegisterInfo and large gaps

Ted Woodward ted.woodward at codeaurora.org
Fri Jun 6 15:46:18 PDT 2014

I've got a simulator with a gdbserver interface that defines one set of
registers starting at 0,with a few small gaps, and another set starting at
100, with a large gap between the end of the 1st set and the start of the
2nd. On an upcoming device it will add a 3rd set, again with a large gap.

We currently implement the gaps as dummy registers in qRegisterInfo. We have
38 dummy registers and ~100 real registers.  The number of dummy registers
will only grow in the future.

I propose a new key:value pair in qRegisterInfo. regnum:<hex number>  would
set the register number to the number specified. In
ProcessGDBRemote::BuildDynamicRegisterInfo(), a new index would be used for
the loop. reg_num would start and 0 and use (previous value +1) if regnum
wasn't specified, or would use the value specified.

If the qRegisterInfo3 has regnum:10, register numbers would look like this:

0 1 2 16 17 18 .

Ted