[lldb-dev] LLDB test executable architectures

Matthew Gardiner mg11 at csr.com
Wed Jul 30 23:32:07 PDT 2014

Zachary Turner wrote:
> So just to be clear, assuming I made this change, I'm not saying that
> dotest would require you to pass in --arch, I'm just saying it would
> pick a more straightforward default.  In particular, the default of
> your host system.  You can see the original logic for choosing the
> default in the OP, but it was something along the lines of:
>
> x64 Mac -> x86 + x64 tests
> x86 Mac -> x86 tests
> x64 Linux Clang -> x86 + x64 tests
> x64 Linux Non-Clang (GCC?)  x64 tests
> x86 Linux Clang -> x86 tests
> x86 Linux Non-Clang -> x86 tests
>
> So you'd have the following net changes:
>
> x64 Mac -> Don't run x86 tests anymore
> x64 Linux Clang -> Don't run x86 tests anymore
>
> Nothing else would change.  And again, these would just be for the
> cases where you ran dotest.py without a --arch arg.  You could still
> override it.

Ok, fair enough - thanks for putting my mind at rest. Clearly the
process should not be more difficult than it already is.

> If it's truly useful then I don't mind leaving it, but I'd at least
> like to understand why it's so asymmetric.  Like what's the issue with
> Linux GCC x64?  Why can't it run x86 tests?

I see what you mean. I'm not sure why CLANG builds test both
architectures. Perhaps the CLANG environment has features which make it
easier to run 32 stuff on 64 OSes? (I know very little about
clang/llvm). I'm making this claim because I know that on my Fedora 20
64-bit box, with stuff built on GCC, I had to install additional (i.e.
32 bit support libraries) to get C and C++ binaries to run under the
64-bit linux. So perhaps there is a reason?