[lldb-dev] unit testing C++ code in LLDB

Todd Fiala tfiala at google.com
Wed Jul 16 09:40:11 PDT 2014

Hey guys,

Sometimes I have smaller bits of code I'd like to test in LLDB as I'm
developing them (i.e. TDD-style) that are C++ and won't be exposed directly
via Python.  I'm not sure I've seen any facilities in the LLDB tests for
adding such tests.  Essentially I'd want to do something like a gtest or
cppunit test.

Do we have any mechanism for doing that currently?  If we do, what is it?
 If we don't, how about adding some mechanism to do it after we figure out
how we'd like to approach it?  Or, if you have thoughts on a good, simple
way to do it from Python that doesn't require extra Python bindings just to
do it, that'd be fine by me as well.

If we want to take a concrete example, here is one: I'm adding a NamedPipe
class under the host dir.  I'd like to make some simple tests for it, and
test it under Linux, Windows and MacOSX.  In the case of Windows, it would
be the only real way for me to test that it's behaving exactly as I want at
this point.  This isn't the only time I've wanted C++-level tests at a
fairly fine granularity, but it's a good example of it.

Any thoughts?
--
Todd Fiala | Software Engineer | tfiala at google.com | 650-943-3180