[lldb-dev] Same-Process Debugging

Russell Harmon eatnumber1 at google.com
Thu Jul 10 11:40:52 PDT 2014

I've been looking into better leveraging LLDB for debugging it's own
process, effectively allowing you to inspect your own program
programmatically with a debugger-centric view.

I already built a functioning API for introspecting C programs using LLDB
called Ruminate <https://github.com/eatnumber1/ruminate>, with an
accompanying paper <http://rus.har.mn/files/project-report.pdf> written
about it, but it has to jump through some rather expensive IPC hoops in
order to do so.

After talking with Todd Fiala, he suggested writing an implementation of
NativeProcessProtocol and NativeThreadProtocol that inspects the local
process. This would allow same-process debugging without the expensive IPC
that Ruminate has.

Basically I want to be able to use LLDB as a high-level API to inspect your
own process, with all of the details of debug symbols, stack traversal, etc
handled for you.

Thoughts?