[lldb-dev] LLDB for Android: any status?

Todd Fiala tfiala at google.com
Thu Jul 10 10:13:01 PDT 2014

Sure.

I got lldb-gdbserver, a key piece along the path, upstreamed early last
week with preliminary Linux x86_64 support.  It now needs to be put through
its paces.  I'll be doing that as soon as I can escape build/test issues
we've been experiencing with more Windows contributions lately and a
slightly rotted keep-tests-green situation.

What still needs to happen before we get it on Android:

   - llgs needs to be verified by two approaches: get remote test suite
   running, and get local test suite running using llgs locally, much like
   Apple does with using debugserver for local MacOSX debugging.  These will
   surface unknowns in the llgs implementation.
   - Linux support for more platforms is needed.  ARM32, ARM64,
   MIPS/MIPS64, and x86 32-bit.
   - Androidisms need to be accounted for.  That will be something slightly
   different than Linux but should only be a tweak off of Linux support, not
   something totally new.  Not sure of the extent of it yet.  I don't expect
   it to be too bad.  I'm starting with pure Linux first since that's an
   easier scenario to debug.
   - Android compile environment needs to be figured out.  My intent is to
   start with the Android NDK as a pre-req for building lldb-gdbserver (llgs)
   for Android.  We might need a path to build within the Android Platform
   (AOSP) but I'd like to avoid that if possible, since that will be Yet
   Another Build System (and we have two too many already).

We have a crew working on that over here.  I can't promise time frames, but
we're working on it.  We're upstreaming as we have things ready, so you
will be able to see progress nearly real-time.

GDB on Android is still the official route at this time and, currently,
there is no good route for using LLDB with Android yet.  LLDB to stock
Android gdbserver is not a working path either (we spent some time there
but hit enough issues to make it not worth derailing lldb-gdbserver/lldb
work).

Hope that helps!

--
Todd Fiala | Software Engineer | tfiala at google.com | 650-943-3180