[lldb-dev] test system, when using clang, flags

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Wed Jul 9 11:34:13 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Todd Fiala <tfiala at google.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> When running lldb tests with clang, on non-Apple platforms, we really need
> this flag set:
> -fstandalone-debug

We think this is a bug in LLDB, and would *really* like to see it fixed.
 gdb works fine without this flag, and it *drastically* reduces the amount
of debug info stored in object files.  My understanding is that the debug
info that LLDB needs is there, but it's in a different compilation unit.

Usually the missing information is type information about a class with a
vtable where the first virtual method (aka the key function) is defined in
a different TU.  That TU will emit the vtable and all type information for
that class.

That said, it's fine if LLDB has to add the flag as a short-term way to
stabilize the test suite.  I just want to make sure we're on the same page
here: this is probably an LLDB bug, not a Clang bug.