[lldb-dev] Target and platform clarification request

Matthew Gardiner mg11 at csr.com
Thu Jul 3 23:25:22 PDT 2014

> Yes you will need to make a "Plugins/Platform/Kalimba" with a plug-in named "kalimba". It is possible to start getting ELF files loaded, but the big hurdle we will run into is you won't get any type introspection since the DWARF parser creates clang ASTs and converts DWARF back into DWARF ASTs. If your data layout is similar to another architecture, you could use that other architecture until you have your kalimba support in clang. As an example, there will be DWARF that describes a structure:
>
> struct foo {
>      int a;
>      float b;
>      uint64_t c;
> };
>
> We would create a clang AST and tell it to create a structure type "foo" and would add fields "a", "b", and "c" to that structure type and also assist the compiler with the layout by using data in the DWARF in case any #pragam or alignment attributes were used on any members. These clang AST types are used to display types with "frame variable" and also with expression results. Take a look at the ClangASTType.cpp file to get a feel for how we introspect types after they have been made into Clang types. So currently you would be able to make a target with your ELF file and get source correspondence, but you might fail to be able to display any variables.
>

> Greg

Thanks for this Greg. Your last point concerning "frame variable" being
very relevant regarding my overall quest.
Matt

More information can be found at www.csr.com. Keep up to date with CSR on our technical blog, www.csr.com/blog, CSR people blog, www.csr.com/people, YouTube, www.youtube.com/user/CSRplc, Facebook, www.facebook.com/pages/CSR/191038434253534, or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/CSR_plc.
New for 2014, you can now access the wide range of products powered by aptX at www.aptx.com.