[lldb-dev] Windows Build Setup w/ Ninja for LLDB

Todd Fiala todd.fiala at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 14:30:03 PDT 2014

Hey all,

Can somebody tell me what I need to install on a fresh Window 8.1 x86_64
box to get an lldb windows build working?

Here is what I've tried so far:

   - VS 2013
   - ninja - sync from github, build 32-bit version.  (The --x64 build
   option seems to always bring up an error dialog box in a VS 2013 64-bit
   window, so I use the x86 32-bit VS command prompt and build it as 32-bit.
    This might be part of my issue).
   - Initially I installed python.org's Python 2.7 64-bit.  I later tried
   the 32-bit after hitting issues in the build process.
   - cmake 2.8.12.2.  I tried the same with 3.0.0 but backed off to
   2.8.12.2 to normalize with Zachary's setup and avoid any issues that Reid
   may have seen with 3.0.0 recently.
   - Installed gnuwin32.

I sync llvm, llvm/tools/clang, and llvm/tools/lldb to the llvm, clang and
lldb repos.

I ensure python is not in my path (i.e. 'where python' does not find
anything).  I do have gnuwin32/bin, cmake and ninja in my path.

I run:
dir
llvm

mkdir build
cd build
cmake -GNinja ..\llvm
ninja

I get an error after about 200 files in from trying to build that says:
Building lldb python wrapper
FAILED: cmd.exe /c cd /D D:\lldb\git\build\tools\lldb\scripts && env
PYTHON_EXEC
UTABLE=C:/Python27/python.exe
D:/lldb/git/llvm/tools/lldb/scripts/build-swig-wra
pper-classes.sh D:/lldb/git/llvm/tools/lldb
D:/lldb/git/build/tools/lldb/scripts
 D:/lldb/git/build/tools/lldb/scripts D:/lldb/git/build -m && env
PYTHON_EXECUTA
BLE=C:/Python27/python.exe
D:/lldb/git/llvm/tools/lldb/scripts/finish-swig-wrapp
er-classes.sh D:/lldb/git/llvm/tools/lldb
D:/lldb/git/build/tools/lldb/scripts D
:/lldb/git/build/tools/lldb/scripts D:/lldb/git/build -m
*env: D:/lldb/git/llvm/tools/lldb/scripts/build-swig-wrapper-classes.sh:
Exec for*
*mat error *

That version is with a 32-bit python.  I get the same error with a 64-bit
python installed in the same location.

I have tried disabling python:

delete the build dir
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DLLDB_DISABLE_PYTHON=1 -GNinja ..\llvm

Same error - it still detects the python (not in the path) and still uses
it.

I've tried -DDISABLE_PYTHON=1 instead, that one just tells me that variable
is not used.

So - I'm missing something basic here.  I do not have cygwin in my path.  I
used msysgit to get the source.

Right now I would just settle for being able to disable python, even though
we need that running at some point.

Thanks for any help!

Sincerely,
Todd Fiala