[lldb-dev] Native windows debugging support

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Wed Jul 2 14:52:45 PDT 2014

I've started experimenting with adding support to LLDB for debugging native
Windows executables on Windows.  So windows host, windows target.  I've
done a few little cleanup tasks here and there and fixed some low-hanging
fruit, and I'd like to move onto something more meaty.

I took a look at what it would take to get "platform process list" to work.
 The first thing I notice is that all of the Process info objects contain
the notion of a UID and GID, a concept which doesn't really exist on
Windows.  An analagous concept exists, but it's represented completely
differently.

My question is: How best to abstract out this functionality?  I'm still not
totally clear on where I'm allowed to use platform specific types / APIs
and where it needs to be platform agnostic.  My first thought is to remove
UID and GID from the ProcessInfo class, and replace them with a instance a
"ProcessUserId" class, then provide a PosixProcessUserId and a
WindowsProcessUserId, which abstracts away the differences.

Assuming this approach is logical, where is the best place for this code to
go?  Host or Target?

Anything else I should be aware of?