[lldb-dev] Critique of Linux DoReadMemory implementation

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Wed Feb 26 11:16:09 PST 2014

Currently, because of memory caching, lldb_private::Process::ReadMemory() will break up memory reads into 512 byte requests to the pure virtual lldb_private::Process::DoReadMemory() function and cache each 512 byte block of data that comes back. We should modify the caller of DoReadMemory to call it with a _multiple_ of 512 byte reads so we can do large memory reads all at once, yet still maintain the caching. The biggest issue is some process subclasses, like ProcessGDBRemote, are often communicating with remote GDB servers that can't read that much at a time. Sometimes the remote GDB servers have fixed size buffers that allow for packets to be up to a fix size in the responses, so any change we do would need to probably ask the lldb_private::Process subclass what its max memory read size is with a new pure virtual lldb_private::Process function:

class Process {

virtual uint64_t GetMaxMemoryReadByteSize() = 0;

};

As for using ptrace versus using file mapping, I would stick with ptrace unless you have a valid reason to do so. Using seek + read on a file descriptor seems like a hack that is kinda cool, but as someone else already mentioned, when you are debugging a process of another user, you might run into permissions problems. We know ptrace always works, so I would say "don't fix what isn't broken" unless you find some serious performance issues with ptrace vs the file mapped proc/<pid>/mem approach. Another issue you might run into is threading issues with the file position on the "fd" returned from 'open("/proc/<pid>/mem", O_RDONLY);' If one thread tries to read from address 0x1000, and another reads from 0x2000, you can run into issues. Of course you can use pread, but again, why switch from ptace()?

Greg