[lldb-dev] Current quality/support of lldb on 32-bit Linux systems

Matthew Gardiner mg11 at csr.com
Wed Feb 12 23:40:02 PST 2014

Todd Fiala wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> I am working on Linux lldb, but currently I am focused on the x86_64
> build, specifically on Ubuntu LTS systems (so 12.04 right now, until
> we bump up to the next one).
>
> My only experience with the 32-bit version on Ubuntu 12.04 x86 was
> that I could *not* build it using a configure/(g)make Debug+Asserts
> build as the compiler/linker would run out of memory.  I did get it to
> make it past several OOM situations, but could never get past
> liblldb.so linkage using gcc 4.8.2 on a debug build.  When I switched
> to a release build (optimizations enabled, no debug info in the lldb
> build), then I could make it through the build process.
Yes, as I'd imagined - Linux 32-bit is currently seeing little action.

> As to the quality question as it pertains to Linux x86_64 (and
> probably Linux as a whole): I have run into several what I'd call
> significant bugs where I could not debug development work without
> first fixing a bug in lldb.  The good news is that these bugs are
> getting fixed now as my team hits them.
>
> On a related note: in an effort to increase confidence in the state of
> the code, we are in the process of gathering some code coverage
> information for lldb under Linux x86_64 when running the local tests.
>  This would be a first approximation as to how much work we may need
> to do to ensure we've got lldb Linux running reasonably reliably.
>  I'll make an attempt to characterize those results once I have them.
>  (Right now the gcov/lcov-built lldb is crashing when run, so I need
> to track that down first).  It is likely that x86 Linux will share
> similar results as the x86_64 side w/r/t reliability.
>
> I hope that helps, Matthew.

Yes, thanks for this, Todd. Meanwhile I'm going to attempt to persuade
my 32-bit build to work correctly. I think the main problem is that the
register map is wrong, in fact I'm wondering if the 64-bit map is being
used instead. I'm new to lldb, so I can't make any strong assumptions.
Anyway, I'll keep digging.

Thanks again,
Matt

More information can be found at www.csr.com. Keep up to date with CSR on our technical blog, www.csr.com/blog, CSR people blog, www.csr.com/people, YouTube, www.youtube.com/user/CSRplc, Facebook, www.facebook.com/pages/CSR/191038434253534, or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/CSR_plc.
New for 2014, you can now access the wide range of products powered by aptX at www.aptx.com.