[lldb-dev] interesting note on build times: configure/make vs. cmake/ninja

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Wed Feb 5 13:20:43 PST 2014

On 5 February 2014 15:59, Todd Fiala <tfiala at google.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just thought I'd pass along that I've just did a build time comparison between our standard lldb build setup: configure + (g)make (i.e. configure && make -j32), vs. cmake + ninja (i.e. cmake -GNinja && ninja).  On an HP z620 with 32 virtual procs on ssd, it takes me just under 10 minutes to build lldb with configure/make.  The same machine with ninja + cmake takes 4.25 minutes.  *huge* speedup.
>
> We'll be moving in that direction on our dev setups based on that change.  If for some reason we hit any hiccups with that, I'll be sure to tell you about them.

I think the configure-based build was (temporarily) broken when I
first started working on LLDB and I started using cmake/ninja for that
reason; I've never looked back.  The speedup is very nice, and I'm
quite fond of ninja's output format for files that are built
successfully / have warnings / have errors.

There's been some discussion in the past on deprecating the
configure+make build, but without any further action.  For developers
still using the configure+make build, is it just because you're
unfamiliar with cmake/ninja, or is there some attribute of the make
build that you rely on?