[lldb-dev] How can I detect that LLDB is running from within the test suite?

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Wed Dec 10 15:45:15 PST 2014

When the test suite runs, there's a few things I need to do differently
than when the test suite doesn't run.

1) I need to configure Windows so that instead of popping up an error
dialog and waiting for user interaction whenever we crash, it just silently
crashes and generates a dump.

2) I need to force inferiors to launch without a console window.

Both of these things are very Windows-specific, so if I were to add a
method to the public API, the method wouldn't make sense for other
platforms.

Also, #2 is probably something that we always want when running from the
test suite, but #1 is something that I can imagine wanting to be
configurable.  For example, when running the test suite on a build bot,
obviously we must not have any popups that require user interaction.  But
when running the test suite locally, we would want the popup so that we can
easily attach a debugger and figure out why the test is crashing.

Any thoughts as to the best way to achieve this?  One idea I had was to
have the test suite set an environment variable, and have LLDB look for
this environment variable.  That seems like a bit of a hack, so I'm open to
other suggestions.