[lldb-dev] Detailed logging from test runs

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Wed Dec 10 13:42:08 PST 2014

Currently we just dump the results of stdout / stderr when running the
tests.  Occasionally it might be useful for someone diagnosing a failing
test to enable more detailed logging.  Essentially running a "log enable"
command at lldb startup.  I see that dotest.py has the ability to pass a
runhook via -k, so that one could in theory run dotest.py -k "log enable
<whatever>".

Is it worth putting this behind a separate option in dotest.py?  Something
like this:

dotest.py --enable-logging --log-filters=process|platform|communication

When --enable-logging is specified, the test runner would decide the output
file name automatically using the value of the -s option, or if
unspecified, the same default that -s uses.