[lldb-dev] More ARM debugging woes involving the Thumb IT (if/then) instruction...

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Fri Dec 5 15:16:53 PST 2014

After we all recently spoke about thumb IT problems where you could crash when single stepping, we looked into issues we currently have with the IT instruction and we found:

1 - breakpoints set on 32 bit Thumb instructions in a valid thumb IT block will cause crashes
2 - we need to fix single stepping so it doesn't run into the above issue
3 - When single stepping in ARM/Thumb we set the watchpoint registers to say "stop when the PC is not equal to <current-pc>"

Facebook has fixed #1 and #2 in their GDB server by placing a 32 bit thumb trap when required to avoid changing the size of the instruction in the IT block. This works as long as your kernel support and recognizes a 32 bit thumb trap as a breakpoint. The MacOSX kernel doesn't recognize any 32 bit thumb traps as breakpoints, so we need another solution.

If you use the 16 bit BKPT instruction for Thumb and the 32 bit BKPT instruction for ARM, these will always get hit regardless of the condition (see the ARM docs for the IT instruction). This is nice in that you can still set your breakpoints correctly and not worry about changing instruction boundaries, but it has the side affect where you can stop a thread at a place where the instruction wouldn't actually get executed. So you can replace the original instructions, single step (and it will ignore it), re-enable the software BP, and continue.

This "a thread has been stopped on an instruction that won't get executed" causes problems in #3 above when we single step because you could have code like:

0x7cff0 <main+4 >: cmp    r0, #0x0
0x7cff2 <main+6 >: ittee  gt
0x7cff4 <main+8 >: movgt  r1, #0x11
0x7cff6 <main+10>: movgt  r2, #0x22
0x7cff8 <main+12>: movle  r1, #0x33
0x7cffa <main+14>: movle  r2, #0x44

If we single step through this code we would stop at all instructions 0x7cff4 - 0x7cffa. This is bad because you would step though your code:

1 if (argc < 0)
2     x = 0x11, y = 0x22;
3 else
4     x = 0x33, y = 0x44;

We would stop on line 2 and line 4 which would look really wrong.

So to correctly account for this we need a notion that a thread is stopped on an instruction which won't get executed. We need to be able to detect this and continue on with our thread plans if no other threads have a valid stop reason.

Our plan for this is to generically at a high level in lldb_private::Process and lldb_private::Thread add code that can detect this (because this can easily happen with JTAG debuggers, live debuggers (like debugserver and other GDB servers), native debuggers etc. So we really don't want everyone duplicating this code in each of their plug-ins. Once this is detected, we will "do the right thing" and finish the thread plan correctly (like "single step instruction" and "step over source line", etc).

The other solution would be to do this in each GDB server or native debug implementation that supports ARM, but again, this would mean duplicating a lot of code. If we do this at the lldb_private::Process/Thread level, we can re-use the code and ensure a single path that can be traced and debugged.

I am just passing along what we plan to do in case anyone has any input or other solutions or ideas.

Greg Clayton