[lldb-dev] Creating a breakpoint on a target with no process

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Thu Dec 4 12:27:08 PST 2014

I started working on implementing a DynamicLoader plugin.

While it's indeed quite simple, I still have some questions about why it's
necessary to make shared library load/unloading work.

I do understand the use case for other platforms, because there is a
non-trivial amount of work required to detect shared library loading /
unloading.  On Windows however, there is no work involved because the OS
tells us at every occurrence of a shared library load or unload.  As a
result, my DynamicLoader implementation basically boils down to some code
like this in my process plugin

if (event is a module load)
    dynamic_loader->NotifyModuleLoad(module);
else if (event is a module unload)
    dynamic_loader->NotifyModuleUnload(module);

In each of these two methods, all I do is construct an empty ModuleList,
add a single item to it, set the load address, and call
GetTarget().ModulesDidLoad() or GetTarget().ModulesDidUnload().

So either way I'm calling ModulesDidLoad() / ModulesDidUnload() directly,
it's just am I having the Process plugin tell the DynamicLoader to do it,
or am I having the process do it itself.  Whichever one does it though,
it's the same few lines of code to prepare the call to ModulesDidLoad().

One more question: You said this: "the MacOSX version finds the global list
of shared libraries that are loaded, iterates through them, seaches for any
modules that are in the target, removes any images from the target that
aren't loaded, then sets the section load address for all sections in all
modules to the correct value".

Just to clarify some terminology, are "shared library", "module", and
"image" here the same thing?  Why would you have a shared library that is
loaded but not in the target?  Where else would it be?  As for setting the
section load address for all sections, it sounds like this is the same as
just calling module->SetModuleLoadAddress() to the load address of the
entire shared library.  Is this correct?