[lldb-dev] [cfe-dev] Plans for module debugging

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 10:59:09 PST 2014

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Adrian Prantl <aprantl at apple.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> Mach-O, depending on the platform). Inside the container there will be
>> multiple sections: one containing the serialized AST, and ones containing
>> DWARF5 split debug type information for all types defined in the module
>> that can be encoded in DWARF. By virtue of using type units, each type is
>> emitted into its own type unit which can be identified via a unique type
>> signature. DWARF consumers can use the type signatures to look up type
>> definitions in the module debug info section. For module-aware consumers
>> (LLDB), we will add an index that maps type signatures directly to an
>> offset in the AST section.
>>
>> For an object file that was built using modules, we need to record the
>> fact that a module has been imported. To this end, we add a
>> DW_TAG_compile_unit into a COMDAT .debug_info.dwo section that references
>> the split DWARF inside the module. Similar to split DWARF objects, the
>> module will be identified by its filename and a checksum. The imported unit
>> also contains a couple of extra attributes holding all the information
>> necessary to recreate the module in case the module cache has been flushed.
>

> How does the debugging experience work in this case? When do you trigger
> the (possibly-lengthy) rebuild of the source in order to recreate the DWARF
> for the module (is it possible to delay that until the information is
> needed)?
>

> The module debugging scenario is primarily aimed at providing a
> better/faster edit-compile-debug cycle. In this scenario, the module would
> most likely still be in the cache. In a case were the binary was build so
> long ago that the module cache has since been flushed it is generally more
> likely the the user also used a DWARF linking step (such as dsymutil on
> Darwin, and maybe dwz on Linux?) because they did a release/archive build
> which would just copy the DWARF out of the module and store it alongside
> the binary. For this reason I’m not very concerned about the time necessary
> for rebuilding the module. But this is all very platform-specific, and
> different platforms may need different defaults.
>

> This description is in terms of building a module that has gone missing,
> but just to be clear: a modules-aware debugger probably also needs to
> rebuild modules that have gone out of date, such as when one of their
> headers is modified.
>

> In this case were the module is out of date, the debugger should probably
> fall back to the DWARF types, because it cannot guarantee that the
> modifications to the header files did not change the types it wants to look
> up.
>

> Sorry, I just realized that this doesn’t make any sense if the DWARF is
> stored in the module. The behavior should be:
> 1. If the module is missing, recreate the module.
> 2. If the module signature does not match the signature in the .o file,
> either print a large warning that types from that module may be bogus, or

FWIW, GDB currently does the latter for mismatched fission files (if the
signatures don't match it prints an error and doesn't use them).

Side note/thought: We could imagine a semi-module-aware debugger that knew
enough to know to rerun the compiler, but not enough to parse clang ASTs (I
imagine it wouldn't be /that/ hard to teach GDB this) - and then it would
just load the file as normal and actually hit the same fission signature
validation path it already has (and refuse to load mismatched debug info).

Just so I'm clear - in any case (fully Clang-AST-loading-aware-debugger, or
the semi-aware case I described above) the only reason to rebuild the debug
info is for cases where the source hasn't changed, but the module cache has
been flushed for some reason (such as a system restart)?

- David