[lldb-dev] Host vs. HostInfo

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Mon Aug 25 14:55:33 PDT 2014

Yea the signals stuff is tricky because if you're on Windows remote
debugging a Linux machine, you should be able to send a signal to the
process, even though signals aren't a concept on Windows.  So I think
UnixSignals handles that nicely.  Although that is in the Target layer,
which is platform agnostic by definition, so it shouldn't be a problem.  On
the other hand, I don't anticipate that the HostProcess class implemented
in Host/windows/HostProcess.cpp will have a method called Signal(), for
example, because that represents a process running locally on a Windows OS
somewhere, where the concept doesn't exist.

This is another example of where the preprocessor check should be done at a
different level.  The person interfacing with the Host layer should know
what Host they're interfacing with, otherwise they'll do things that don't
make sense.  So at least in my ideal world, the Host layer implements
exactly the set of functionality it supports, and in cases where things
differ, it's up to the person writing Host::method() to make sure they're
writing something that makes sense in the context.