[lldb-dev] Host vs. HostInfo

Todd Fiala tfiala at google.com
Mon Aug 25 13:35:39 PDT 2014

Hey Zachary,

On this part:

> 3) Make a HostThread instantiatable, non-static class, which represents a
thread  inside of a process on the Host OS.  Move code from Host.cpp over
there.

We have a lower-level NativeThreadProtocol and NativeProcessProtocol
concept that we're developing.  They are low-level pieces that can be
instantiated for supported platforms (currently Linux x86_64, soon others,
including eventually Apple-specific when they go to llgs).  Right now
lldb-gdbserver (llgs) is the user of these.  If we were going to keep local
Linux debugging with ProcessLinux/ProcessMonitor, those would be rewritten
in terms of
NativeProcessProtocol/NativeThreadProtocol/NativeRegisterContext, but as it
stands we'll be deprecating those when we have local Linux debugging
through llgs running on all the Linux variants that the other approach
currently supports.

Just wanted to mention this since it seems like there may be some
cross-talk over that area you mentioned in #3.

Note NativeThreadProtocol is a lower-level concept than Thread and likewise
for NativeProcessProtocol and Process.  Thread and Process intertwine with
some heavier, higher-level lldb concepts like thread plans, public/private
state, etc.  The Native* classes are very low level and don't perform all
the services that LLDB would use all by itself - it will build on top of
that.

Right now the Native* classes only get used by llgs.

Greg might have more thoughts on this.

-Todd

Todd Fiala | Software Engineer | tfiala at google.com | 650-943-3180