[lldb-dev] LLDB Coding Style

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Tue Aug 19 10:16:56 PDT 2014

I brought this up in a thread on lldb-commits, but since it is of more
general interest, I want to make a thread here as well.

Can we have clear direction on LLDB coding style?  Ideally in the form of
an update to lldb.llvm.org, but as that might require a little more effort,
even some details in a response to this thread would be a help.  Some
things I've deduced from looking at the code, and other things I'm not so
sure about, because of inconsistencies in the code or just no clear rule.

Indentation width: 4
Column limit: 140  (does this apply to comments too?  Most
function-declaration comments seem to wrap at 80)
Brace style: Allman
    if (foo)
    {
        // code here
    }

Break after function return type: Always, only on declarations, only on
definitions, only in headers, or never?

Space before function parentheses: When?

Indent case labels inside switch: A or B below?
    switch (foo)
    {
        case A:
    case B:
    }

Indent braces inside of a case: A or B below?
    switch (foo)
    {
        case A:
        {
        }
        case B:
            {
            }
    }

Any other rules I should be cognizant of?