[lldb-dev] Interpretation of GDB-RSP step commands

Aidan Dodds aidan at codeplay.com
Tue Aug 19 06:56:57 PDT 2014

Hi Matthew,

This link seems to give some details:
http://davis.lbl.gov/Manuals/GDB/gdb_31.html

cycle step *(draft)* 	|i|addr|,|nnn 	Step the remote target by a single
clock cycle. If |,|nnn is present, cycle step nnn cycles. If addr is
present, cycle step starting at that address.

Where as:

step 	|s|addr 	addr is address to resume. If addr is omitted, resume at
same address.

I believe that step should execute one whole machine instruction or one
instruction packet depending on the architecture.  The S command should
step into call instructions, not over.  Stepping over anything is a task
for the debugger, and is managed by coordinating breakpoints, stepping
and continuing.

I cant imagine the 'i' command is commonly supported however since I
presume it would require very complex and tight coupling between the
processor running the stub and the processor being debugged as the clock
is not typical accessible.  For regular source level debugging this
level of control is not typical required.

Thanks,
Aidan