[lldb-dev] Trying to understand symbol importing and its relationship to ASTs

Randy Smith rdsmith at chromium.org
Sun Aug 17 11:53:44 PDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 6:44 PM, Greg Clayton <gclayton at apple.com> wrote:

> > On Aug 10, 2014, at 6:23 PM, Randy Smith <rdsmith at chromium.org> wrote:
> >
> > Just to report back with my final analysis on this thread, in case it's
> useful for other folks:
> >
> > * This was indeed a problem of a type not being fully defined in the
> shared library in which it was used.  I couldn't use the mac dwarfdump on
> linux binaries, but pyelftools (https://github.com/eliben/pyelftools) was
> pretty easy to hack to do what I wanted.  Slow, but it worked.
> >
> > * I did a bit of investigation as to how painful using
> -fstandalone-debug would be for me as a workaround.  In my usual, shared
> library build configuration, it increases build time by 245s = 11%.  It's a
> bit tricky for me to tell how much of that is in the compilation phase and
> how much in the linking phase (there are a lot of separate linking phases
> in the chrome shared library build), but in one shared library (net) build
> times went from 70.8s to 76.5s and linking went from 3.1 to 4.0s.
> Perfectly acceptable, but not ideal long-term.
>
> Agreed, ok for now but we should solve this in the long term.
>
> > * I also looked at static linking; in this case the final link went from
> 41.8s to 92.3s.  Possibly more worrisomely, the Max RSS went from 12GB to
> 26GB (i.e. the size of the machine required to successfully link chrome may
> have doubled, though maybe the RSS would have been smaller with more memory
> pressure--my machine main memory is 32GB).
> >
> > * Part of the reason I did that analysis is that IIUC, the currently
> proposed solution to this problem is to make compiling -fstandalone-debug
> the default, and then change the linker to eliminate duplicate symbol
> information.  In other words, compilation (and compilation times) will be
> the same as what we observe today with -fstandalone-debug, and the linker
> will have *more* work to do, though possibly we can keep the RSS down if
> we're clever.  So for compile/link performance, I'm not sure the currently
> proposed solution is ideal.  (Though I'm sure it would help binary size,
> and likely debugger symbol read performance.)
> >
> > Just musing: How bad would it be to make unloading a shared library a
> very expensive (in the debugger) operation?
>
> Not sure what this would solve. If a shared library changes, we should
> reload it as soon as we detect this. On MacOSX we have a UUID in each
> binary that changes when any important bits change.

> > Specifically, just nuke *all* the symbol information already read in?  I
> think that would solve the interdependency problem you mentioned in your
> last email (with a sledgehammer, but it's a solution :-J) and IIUC it would
> allow us to look up types between shared libraries without any worries.
>
> That works for single binary debugging, but we strive to be able to share
> the debug info in each module.

I don't think I'm following your terminology.  Presuming "single binary"
means "statically linked, no shared libraries", I think my suggestion would
work for multiple binaries (i.e. "dynamically linked, several shared
libraries"); it just (sic?) involves wiping out all in-memory debugging
information whenever any shared library is unloaded.  That might not be
worth it if there's a common use case of debugging programs that often
unload and reload shared libraries (and if it's expensive for lldb to load
debugging information in from disk).  But I suspect I'm not following what
you're saying on a more basic level.

If we make any modifications it should be to the ClangASTImporter class and
> have it be able to recognize when it imported an incomplete class that was
> completed only to keep clang happy, and have it "do the right thing" by
> finding the real definition and importing the right version.Then
> -fno-standalone-debug can work. This would involve marking the
> classes/structs in the clang ASTs that were incorrectly completed to keep
> clang happy, and being able to track that during imports.

I thought that we didn't want to complete types between libraries.  If type
1 is defined in library A but contains a copy of type 2 which is incomplete
in library A, we didn't want to import it from library B (where a complete
definition existed) because that meant of a new version of library B was
loaded, we'd have to untangle the A->B (1->2) pointers created when we
looked up type 2 in library B.  Are you suggesting that we make those
points go through some type of intermediate data structure that we can
dynamically update?  If so, I certainly see the value of that approach over
the one I'm suggesting.  It's also more complex coding (based on my current
limited knowledge of the internals of lldb), but still probably the right
long-term solution to aim for.

-- Randy