[lldb-dev] More linux process control and IOHandler races

Matthew Gardiner mg11 at csr.com
Tue Aug 5 06:59:05 PDT 2014

Jim,

I've been trying to debug an issue (I see it on 64-bit linux) where, I
do "target create" and "process launch" and despite not requesting *stop
at entry*, the first stop (which I believe is just the initial ptrace
attach stop) is reported to the lldb command line. I added some fprintf
to Process::HandlePrivateEvent, which counts the number of eStoppedState
events seen and whether ShouldBroadcastEvent returns true for this
event. Here's the output from my program with diagnostic:

(lldb) target create ~/me/i64-hello.elf
Current executable set to '~/me/i64-hello.elf' (x86_64).
(lldb) process launch
MG Process::HandlePrivateEvent launching stopped_count 0 should_broadcast 1
Process 31393 launching
MG Process::HandlePrivateEvent stopped stopped_count 1 should_broadcast 1
MG Process::HandlePrivateEvent running stopped_count 1 should_broadcast 1
Process 31393 launched: 'i64-hello.elf' (x86_64)
Process 31393 stopped
* thread #1: tid = 31393, 0x0000003675a011f0, name = 'i64-hello.elf',
stop reason = trace
     frame #0: 0x0000003675a011f0
-> 0x3675a011f0:  movq   %rsp, %rdi
    0x3675a011f3:  callq  0x3675a046e0
    0x3675a011f8:  movq   %rax, %r12
    0x3675a011fb:  movl   0x21eb97(%rip), %eax
(lldb) MG Process::HandlePrivateEvent stopped stopped_count 2
should_broadcast 0
MG Process::HandlePrivateEvent running stopped_count 2 should_broadcast 0
MG Process::HandlePrivateEvent stopped stopped_count 3 should_broadcast 0
MG Process::HandlePrivateEvent running stopped_count 3 should_broadcast 0

In summary, lldb reports the inferior to be stopped (even though
/proc/pid/status and lldb "target list" say it is running). Clearly this
is wrong (hence my earlier post).

Am I correct in assuming that when  ShouldBroadcastEvent returns true
this means that lldb should show this event to the debug user? (And thus
hide other events where ShouldBroadcastEvent=false).

What puzzled me was why ShouldBroadcastEvent return true for this very
first stop. Is this a bug?

I also spent sometime at ShouldBroadcastEvent and saw that this:

         case eStateStopped:
         case eStateCrashed:
         case eStateSuspended:
         {
                 if (was_restarted || should_resume || m_resume_requested)
                 {

evaluates as false, and hence the PrivateResume code is not called...
does this seem buggy to you for this very first stop?

I thought I'd try asking you, since in a previous mail from Greg, he
cited you as being a thread-plan expert. (Hope that's ok!). I'd really
appreciate your help in clarifying the above questions for me, and if
you have time, giving me some ideas as to how to trace this one further
e.g. how m_thread_list.ShouldStop and m_thread_list.ShouldReportStop
should behave, etc.

thanks for your help
Matt