[lldb-dev] lldb review process

Todd Fiala tfiala at google.com
Wed Apr 9 09:36:09 PDT 2014

Hi Thiago,

CCing lldb-dev since I think these are great questions that I'm sure others
watching the list may have them as well.

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 8:41 PM, Thiago Farina <tfarina at chromium.org> wrote:

> Hi Todd,
>
> I was surprised to notice that lldb is not using a codereview tool for his
> patch review process.
>
> Why is that? No resources (infra and devs) to manage an installation of
> phabricator, rietveld or gerrit?

Some people do indeed use Phabricator.  You can go here:
http://reviews.llvm.org/

It is not all that common, though. I think because of the process laid out
here:
LLVM Developer Policy <http://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html>

which states a process for LLVM that involves sending patches to (for lldb)
lldb-commits or lldb-dev, which doesn't specifically require (although it
does support) a gerrit/Phabricator/etc. change list review site.

> Also, I noticed that it is still using svn for its source control. I use
> git, so that is a barrier.

You can pull code down from the git mirror, we do this all the time:
http://llvm.org/git/llvm
http://llvm.org/git/clang
http://llvm.org/git/lldb

I think it is documented
here<http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#git-mirror>
.

If you get submit permissions, I find it way easier to submit into an svn
tree since I've always found git-svn integration flaky, but some people do
submit (via git-svn) and just work entirely out of git.  You have those
options to consider.

> Also it does not seem to have a CQ.

CQ - can you define?  Do you mean a quality control system like the llvm
buildbot system <http://lab.llvm.org:8011/console>?  It doesn't *appear*
that we collectively look at them frequently, but I might be wrong on that.
 Fortunately, people are quick to chime in on lldb-dev when there's an
issue on their build.  Sometime in the future I plan on adding a Google
Android buildbot and it will be spitting out nag emails when our tests
break to the suspected change lists added since the last green test run.  I
think the FreeBSD buildbot (?) does this as well, but most don't.  (Every
once in a while a buildbot email goes to lldb-dev, but it's a rare event
--- maybe we just never break the build :-P).

> Those three points are a big barrier for me and may be to many others out
> there, to even contribute a trivial patch. Not that I have any spare time
> to do any real contribution, but even...

Yep - unfortunately projects like LLVM see hundreds of patches a day and
changing such a system takes a long, long time, and agreement among a large
set of developers across many organizations.

> You may be aware of those issues already of course.
>
> Thanks for reading.
>
> My pleasure!  Happy to see your interest in getting involved :-)

> Best regards,
>
> --
> Thiago Farina

Thanks for your comments, Thiago.  Let me know if you have any more
questions.

-Todd